Experience, equipment and survey outputs
Appropriate experience, good equipment and a thorough understanding of the project objectives are of great importance to ensure a successful wildlife count
- More than 30 years’ wildlife counting experience.
- Wildlife counts have been conducted in South Africa and elsewhere in Africa in countries such as Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique, Rwanda, Malawi and Cȏte d’Ivoire.
- Areas counted included nature reserves, game ranches, national parks, game management areas, tourism concessions and hunting concessions.
- Wildlife aerial counting methodologies have included total area counts, systematic sampling, block sample counts, total river counts, systematic photo point sampling and systematic video transect sampling.
An estimate of flying time, survey duration and the amount of aviation fuel needed for a variety of aircraft or helicopters to complete a wildlife count can be quickly calculated using formulae especially created for aerial surveys or counts.
Equipment available for surveys
- GPS (standalone and Bluetooth GPSs)
- Laser distance measuring equipment
- Laser rangefinder
- Laptop computer
- Data loggers
- High capacity power-banks
- High resolution photographic/video equipment
“The reliable counting and censusing of wild animals on a wildlife ranch is a cornerstone of effective wildlife management. Nevertheless, it is extremely difficult to obtain accurate figures of any wild animal population.” – J du P Bothma (2016)
Typical counting outputs offered
- Wildlife population totals counted, including population estimates calculated for sample counts
- Calculations of estimated wildlife biomass
- Detailed wildlife distribution maps, also highlighting high- and low-density areas
- Mapping of human activities, including poaching and other undesirable human activities
- Basic habitat classification (from aerial imagery captured during surveys)
- GIS analyses of counting and other relevant data layers
- All imagery can be georeferenced
- Aerial photo sets with a Google Earth TM overlay feature
- Detailled survey reports